Bernie on Tour

Monday, December 05, 2005

Weekend @ host-family's in Wales

I spent the weekend at a host-family's in Wrexham (Wales). I went there because the university pays for the accomodation at the host family's. So the only thing I had to pay during the whole weekend was the transfer from Oxford to Wrexham and back home. My hosts were a retired teacher and a retired draftsman. They had two son who are a little older than me (but I didn't meet one them 'cause they were on trips themselves).

They were very keen on showing me the country - so we drove up an down loads of hills, following narrow and steep, twisting and turning roads for miles without seeing anyone else => They told me that in Wales there are more sheep than people and it's indeed not hard to believe.

The best thing happend on my way home: There was a rail-replacement service since the did some maintenance-work on the track. So insted of changing trains once in Birmingham I had to change three times (train => bus => train => another train). Not that much of an excitement, isn't is. But if got really funny when our bus broke down in the middle of nowhere. First of all I thought the driver was drunken because he killed the engine more than five times within half a mile. But then it became obvious that there was something else wrong. However, the organised anouther bus that took us to the next station,....finally....



3 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. that looks amazing. i would love to see this country too!

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello bernie, I'm a french student, I'll do my studies in wrexham and I would like living in host family for this period. How did you find your host family, and can you give me a mean to contact yours?

Thanks a lot
Victor
nevictor@wanadoo.fr

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bernie,
We are a family close to Wrexham and would love to host students. Are you able to let us know how you were matched with the family you stayed with? Sounds like you had a great time.
Many thanks
Katie
Katie.Lancaster@sky.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home